INQUIRE ABOUT OUR CURRENT NEEDS
All Qommunicate books are published in print & ebook. It will be made available in paperback on Amazon, the Barnes & Noble website, QommunicatePublishing.com and wherever books are sold (available to booksellers and libraries through Ingram.) Ebook versions will be compatible with the Amazon Kindle, Barnes & Noble Nook, Kobo, iOS, Android, MacOS, and Windows devices, in addition to PDF and other downloadable formats and web-viewable digital formats.
Please read the following submission guidelines carefully before submitting your work to us. If you have any questions not answered below, please write us at email@example.com and we will be happy to answer.
- Created by &/or about LGBTQ+.
- Relevant to at least one of the themes or concepts of a current open call for submission.
- Digital illustration/graphic art.
- Collage (with legal rights for all the component elements)
- All other forms of visual art that can be printed on paper.
Not Looking For
- Sexually graphic work
- Work aimed at children
- High-resolution. Digital art files should be at least 300 dpi resolution.
- If you mail us your submission, please do NOT mail us your only copy of your work. WE DO NOT RETURN SUBMISSIONS.
- Multiple submissions (submissions of more than one work) are fine. Send us what you’ve got!
- Simultaneous submissions (submitting work you’ve already submitted–or are planning on submitting–elsewhere) are fine too.
- Please just be sure that if your submission gets accepted elsewhere, you contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to withdraw it from consideration.
- Previously published will NOT be considered; that includes work posted on a personal blog or social media.
- We are seeking First English and World Anthology Rights in print and ebook formats.
- NOTE: These rights only allow the material to be used in the specific anthology for which it is licensed, its reprints, and promotional materials for that anthology, and the writer retains all rights to their work not specified here (i.e. in the contract), including copyright to their work.
- We are also seeking, for all material, Non-exclusive Rights to use the art in the context of promoting the anthology.
Please note: as of 2020 we have changed our payment model.
For all anthologies to be published after January 1, 2020, we will no longer be paying $5 per printed page. Instead we will be instituting a royalty system, whereby we share a book’s profits with all of that book’s contributors.
Payment for writers and artists contributing to any anthologies will published will be a split of the net income from sales of that book with the publishers and other contributors, as follows:
- Net income = Retail price – costs of printing and distribution
- Printing and distribution costs vary depending on which of the two printers/distributors we use (Amazon & Ingram) processed the sale.
- Of the net income from each book, the Publishers will keep 50% and the other 50% will be split evenly among all the writers and artists who contributed work to the book. Generally, each of our anthologies have between 14 and 40 contributors.
- Because we are a tiny company, royalties will be calculated once per year on the anniversary of the book’s publication date and payments along with documentation of sales will be distributed within 30 days afterward.
If you have already submitted work to us for an upcoming anthology, and you wish to withdraw that piece from consideration due to this change in payment structure, just let us know.
What to Submit
- Your submission
- A brief bio telling us something about you and (if applicable) any publishing experience
- At least one form of contact information (phone number, email, or mailing address. Please do not give a social media account handle as your only form of contact information.
- IMPORTANT: Pen names are acceptable. However, for contractual purposes, all submissions must also include the author’s legal name.
- Please identify in the subject line or cover letter the publication to which you’re submitting, though keep in mind we may consider your work for other books we publish too if we find them appropriate. If you only want your work considered for this one book and no others, please indicate as such.
Where to Submit
Submissions may be emailed to us at: email@example.com
or mailed to us at:
201 Lancelot Lane
Becket, MA 01223
AGAIN, MAILED SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE RETURNED
- Rolling: The deadline for visual art submissions is the same as the deadlines for writing submissions to the same publication to which you are submitting. If you are not submitting art to a specific book, we will consider it for the most appropriate upcoming book(s).
- We do our best to respond to all submissions within 3 months of receiving them. If you haven’t heard from us in that time, please feel free to reach out.
Want editorial feedback on your submission? Our Senior Editor Sage Kalmus now offers honest, constructive & respectful editorial feedback on submissions. Learn more here about how to request editorial feedback.