LGBTQ+ True Stories Anthology
By young people. For young people. About young people.
Introducing the newest book in Qommunicate Publishing’s True Stories Anthology series: one published exclusively for and about young people. To submit work to this anthology, you must under 18 years of age. You do not have to identify as LGBTQ+ to submit work to this anthology. However, if you do not identify as LGBTQ+, then the work must be LGBTQ+-themed. If you identify as LGBTQ+, the work can be about anything you want — as long as it’s true and happened to you. All work submitted to Queer Youth must be true life experiences only. True stories in poetry form are also welcome.
In your submission email or at the top of your submission PLEASE PUT YOUR AGE. More submission guidelines can be found below.
Queer Youth will be published in print & ebook. It will be made available in paperback on Amazon, the Barnes & Noble website, queerpublisher.com and wherever books are sold (available to booksellers and libraries through Ingram.) Ebook versions will be compatible with the Amazon Kindle, Barnes & Noble Nook, Kobo, iOS, Android, MacOS, and Windows devices, in addition to PDF and other downloadable formats and web-viewable digital formats.
Please read the following submission guidelines carefully before submitting your work to Queer Youth. If you have any questions not answered below, please write us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to answer.
- True Stories – This means the author must attest that the events described actually happened to him/her/them.
- Queer Youth – Only work written by young people under 18 years old will be considered. All submissions must state the author’s age. All work must also be appropriate for young readers under 18 years old.
- Genres: Creative non-fiction (essay, memoir)
- Flash non-fiction of 1 page or less is also welcome.
- Poetry will be considered, provided poems also qualify as “true stories”.
We will NOT consider:
Length (all word/page counts are loose)
- Prose: up to 3,500 words
- Flash Non-fiction: 1 page or less
- Poetry: Up to 5 pages
- Please number submissions of longer than 10 pages.
- All submissions must be typed. No handwritten submissions will be accepted.
- PLEASE EDIT YOUR WORK. Only send your best, completed work. If work must be edited too greatly to be included, it may be refused, even if it might otherwise be accepted.
- If you mail in your submission by postal/snail mail, please do NOT mail us your only copy of your work. We can not be responsible for returning submissions.
- Multiple submissions (submissions of more than one work) are fine. Send us what you’ve got!
- Simultaneous submissions (submitting work you’ve already submitted–or are planning on submitting–elsewhere) are fine too.
- Please just be sure that if your submission gets accepted elsewhere, you contact us at email@example.com to withdraw it from consideration for Queer Youth: LGBTQ+ True Stories Anthology.
- Reprints will NOT be considered. If your work has already been published elsewhere, whether in print or digitally, it will not be considered. That includes work previously appearing on Facebook or other social media.
- We are seeking First English Anthology Rights and First World Anthology Rights in print and ebook formats.
- NOTE: These rights only allow the material to be used in the anthology and its reprints, and the writer retains all rights to their work not specified here (i.e. in the contract), including copyright to their work.
- We are also seeking, for all material, Non-exclusive Excerpt Rights (for the purposes of promoting the Anthology on the website).
- Contributors will receive, as a humble token of our appreciation, $5 per printed page.
What to Submit
- Your submission
- Your age – Either mentioned in your cover letter, email or at the top of your submission.
- A brief bio telling us something about you and (if applicable) any publishing experience
- At least one form of contact information (phone number, email, or mailing address. Please do not give a social media account handle as your only form of contact information.
- IMPORTANT: Pen names are acceptable. However, for contractual purposes, all submissions must also include the author’s legal name.
- Please state QUEER YOUTH in the subject line of the email or in the cover letter accompanying your submission. That said, keep in mind that we may consider your work for other books we publish too if we find it a good potential match. If you only want your work considered for this one book alone and no others, please indicate that in your email or cover letter as well.
Where to Submit
Submissions may be emailed to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
or mailed to us at:
PO Box 798
Becket, MA 01223
AGAIN, MAILED SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE RETURNED
- March 31, 2020
- We do our best to respond to all submissions within 3 months of receiving them. If you haven’t heard from us in that time, please feel free to reach out.
To read some examples of what kind of work we’re looking for, check out our other True Stories Anthologies. Of course we always seek fresh voices and perspectives too!
We look forward to reading your work!
Want editorial feedback on your submission? Our Senior Editor Sage Kalmus now offers honest, constructive & respectful editorial feedback on submissions. Learn more here about how to request editorial feedback.