LGBTQ+-themed one-act and 10-minute plays for student and adult players and audiences.
At the request of numerous teachers and theater educators Qommunicate Publishing is putting together short play collections for student players and audiences and adults players and audiences alike. The collections will be as follows:
- LGBTQ+ 10-minute Plays for Students (Grade, Middle & High School)
- LGBTQ+ One-Act Plays for Students (Grade, Middle & High School)
- LGBTQ+ 10-minute Plays for Adults and General Audiences
- LGBTQ+ One-Act Plays for Adults and General Audiences
All four collections will be published in print & ebook. They will be made available in paperback on queerpublisher.com as well as Amazon, BN.com and wherever books are sold (available to booksellers and libraries through us and Ingram.) Ebook versions will be compatible with the Amazon Kindle, Barnes & Noble Nook, Kobo, iOS, Android, MacOS, and Windows devices, in addition to PDF and other downloadable formats and web-viewable digital formats.
Please read the following submission guidelines carefully before submitting your work to any of the Queer Theater play collections. If you have any questions not answered below, please write us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to answer.
- LGBTQ+ – Plays must be LGBTQ+-themed. Unlike our other publications in which the material need not be queer-themed if the writer is queer-identified, for these play collections, the content of the play must be in some way LGBTQ+ regardless of the identity of the playwright.
- Plays – One-act and 10-minute plays
We Will NOT consider
- 10-minute plays: 10 pages*.
- One-act plays: Between 15 and 30 pages*.
- *Page counts do NOT include Dramatis Personae/Place & Time and Prop List (i.e. these may be extra)
- PLEASE NUMBER ALL PAGES
- Work must be submitted in standard play format. Helpful guidelines to that format can be found here: //ptfaculty.gordonstate.edu/lking/CPF_play_formatting2.pdf and here: //www.writopialab.org/programs/specialty-programs/worldwide-plays-festival/the-competition/standard-playwriting-format
- PLEASE EDIT YOUR WORK.
- If you send your submission in, please do NOT mail us your only copy of your work. We can not be responsible for returning submissions.
- Multiple submissions (submissions of more than one work) are fine. Send us what you’ve got!
- Simultaneous submissions (submitting work you’ve already submitted–or are planning on submitting–elsewhere) are fine too.
- Please just be sure that if your submission gets accepted elsewhere, you contact us at email@example.com to withdraw it from consideration for Even More Queer Families: LGBTQ+ True Stories Anthology.
- Reprints will NOT be considered. If your work has already been published elsewhere, whether in print or digitally, it will not be considered. That includes work previously appearing on Facebook or other social media.
- Submitted plays can have been produced before, just not published, neither in print nor digital form.
- We are seeking First English Anthology Rights and First World Anthology Rights in print and ebook formats.
- NOTE: These rights only allow the material to be used in the anthology and its reprints, and the writer retains all rights to their work not specified here (i.e. in the contract), including copyright to their work.
- We are also seeking, for all material, Non-exclusive Excerpt Rights (for the purposes of promoting the Anthology on the website).
- Contributors will receive, as a humble token of our appreciation, $5 per printed page.
What to Submit
- Your submission
- A brief bio telling us something about you and (if applicable) any publishing experience
- At least one form of contact information (phone number, email, or mailing address. Please do not give a social media account handle as your only form of contact information.
- IMPORTANT: Pen names are acceptable. However, for contractual purposes, all submissions must also include the author’s legal name.
- Please identify in the subject line or cover letter the publication to which you’re submitting, though keep in mind we may consider your work for other books we publish too if we find them appropriate. If you only want your work considered for this one book and no others, please indicate as such.
Where to Submit
Submissions may be emailed to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
or mailed to us at:
PO Box 798
Becket, MA 01223
AGAIN, MAILED SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE RETURNED
- February 28, 2020.
- We do our best to respond to all submissions within 3 months of receiving them. If you haven’t heard from us in that time, please feel free to reach out.
To read some examples of what kind of work we’re looking for, check out the plays on our Hashtag Queer: LGBTQ+ Creative Anthology series.
Of course, we’re always eager for fresh voices and perspectives too!
We look forward to reading your work!
Want editorial feedback on your submission? Our Senior Editor Sage Kalmus now offers honest, constructive & respectful editorial feedback on submissions. Learn more here about how to request editorial feedback.